Ten Caves.






I honestly couldn't tell you where I got this idea, maybe sitting in the classroom when the project was assigned and looking under the desks, but for my 10 spaces, I decided to take photos of 10 "caves". I chose the theme before I took any of the photos, but I started finding caves almost immediately, everywhere I went. Some of them I tried to make look as strange and far displaced from the original object as I could. 


For others, I took the object/space exactly as it was and maybe just changed some of the lighting. I tried to think about how an incredibly mundane space (like my closet) could change when you view it in a new context Some of the spaces are incredibly small, so I tried to take photos that make them look a lot bigger than they actually are (caves instead of crevices). 




I've decided not to include captions or descriptions, because maybe it's more fun if you have to figure out for yourself what you're looking at? I also had fun thinking about parts of caves (mouths, corners, stalagmites and stalactites, etc) that could be other things in my pictures, and what the analogies are. 

 
What is a cave? Does it have to be dark? Does it have to be creepy? Could it be bright? Could it be cozy and comforting? Could it be incredibly small or incredibly large and still be a cave? How do I capture the feeling of "cave"?









Some of my objects/spaces are incredibly small, like they'd be really really hard to do installations in, so I tried to take the photos in such a way that they seem much bigger. Or if they were actually really big, I'd try to see if I could make them seem small. 


I also took many many more photos of many other spaces that at first glance seemed way more cave like, but the photos did not capture the essence they had in person. And then things that don't feel like caves when you look at them in person actually very much have cave-essence when you see photos of them. It was also funny to see the similarities and parallels between photos of incredibly different things. 
Anyway, enjoy my 10 caves!

Comments

  1. I admire your questioning of what is a cave? You are correct: we often associate a creepy feeling and place with little light as a cave. However you have challenged that. I am especially drawn to the photo of the snow mound with leaves underneath. Most of this image is white and we as the viewer create the cave but are unable to see into it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts