Feeling on Film

I loved Terri Warpinski’s work. We had much more time to listen to her than David so I’m just going to talk about her in this post. It’s so surprising to me that she didn’t discover her love for photography until she was almost down with her undergraduate career. I guess there are things I’ve come to later in life that I previously never would’ve been interested in, like the 3D art class I took last term. I love how she also works in a mixed/multimedia way that’s almost more than photography. 

Her piece “The Myth of Me, IV” (1982) shows this expansion on photography really well. It was so dark and introspective and amazing that she pulled all of that out of a photograph. In the lecture she said with this piece she was exploring how pathologies are rooted in reality but are also connected and pulled into the magical and the beyond. This was such an original and interesting expansion on the otherwise dark idea of “pathology”, and I loved that she explored it with her own body. 

Constant Movement, Pike Creek Formation, 2001

I also lovedddd “Winter solstice, Sunrise/Moonset Zabriskie point” (1989) from the Fragments series. She doesn’t have that exact one on her website so I attached one of the other “Fragments” that is fairly similar. I think the reason I’m so attracted to these pieces is the way that Photography is seen as truth-telling and documentation, but by building multiple photos on top of each other and drawing and sketching to enhance them, she’s acknowledging that photographs cannot tell the full truth, and some times cannot be captured solely in photographs. For that reason, her “Fragments” series feels like it captures the feeling of being in nature more than just exactly what it looks like.
Pike Creek Sun Salutation, 2006

Comments

  1. I'm also impressed by how Terri works in a mixed/multimedia way, which is more than only photography. I choose her fragment series photography in my blog post too. I feel that using several pieces to form a big picture is really interesting, and maybe "big enough" to make us feel like we are in the nature.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts