Allatonceness: 4:30pm

Despite the final project being about Allatonceness, mine is called "4:30pm", a very specific time and place that has been very near and dear to my heart this term, more so than any other. Specifically, this is the time that I arrive home after my long day of classes and homework and being-a-person-time, and I get to take a deep breath and stop being a person for a minute. In my final project, I tried to capture the importance and feeling of that 4:30pm moment. I had a lot of fun making this project, and especially watching the final product. It made me feel seen and heard and validated in my constant struggle against the Lawrence busy. It also reminded me of the important of that break and that rest after all of that work. To capture all of these feelings, I tried to give the context and background of what a long school day feels like, complete with the thoughts, sounds, and visuals of what the inside of my head looks, sounds, and feels like during those long days. 

To do this I used footage of me writing my final paper for one of my classes, audio of me typing (which I feel like I do all day every day), audio of me walking to and from my classes, audio of the cafe where I often work on homework, and me reading passages from my complex gender studies reading assignments. Once you come out of all of that, into the 4:30pm space and time of rest, it is all the more rewarding and relieving. My hope is that watching my short film will trigger similar feelings of anxiety and stress, followed by a tremendous embrace of relief, the release of a breath that collectively, we as students forgot we'd been holding for 10 weeks straight. I hope that everyone's terms have gone well, that we've all taken enough breaks, haven't burnt ourselves out, and are relying and leaning on our communities for support, and that we all go and rest during spring break.

Here is my video.



Comments

Popular Posts