Jean Seberg and the "Global Village"

 I had a lot of fun researching Jean Seberg for this project. In many ways her story is very atypical of other famous actresses of the time. Like many stereotypical stories, she rose to fame suddenly from being a small town girl from Iowa, but unlike many stereotypical stories, she did not achieve success in the US, instead making it big in French New Wave cinema even as an American actress. 

This is my favorite photo I found of Seberg. Although the movie got terrible reviews, was a pretty horrible start to her career, and a detriment to her mental health, she looks so powerful and regal in this photo. She has her whole career and future ahead of her, like anything could happen. It's an ironic sort of portent to what her future holds, both with this movie specifically and the end of her life. 

Link to my Slides

Comments

  1. Jean Seberg was actually my first choice for this project! LOVE her and her work and I can't help but see the parallels of her life in the media and how it correlates with my research on Monroe. Both were women in the eye of technology, involved in mass media and died in the midst or at the hands of it. I also love the picture you chose, it seems to really represent her true self :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts